Thursday, June 4, 2015

May Wrap Up/June TBR

Hello all! I hope you had a great reading month! I think I did fairly well with a total of six books read and a reading slump near the end of the month. Here's what I thought of the books that I read!

#1- Breaking Point by Alex Flinn

TRIGGER WARNING FOR SUICIDE!

While there is suicide in this book, and it's such a short book, you would think that this would be a horribly dark tale. However, it was not. Our main character, Paul, is new to his town in Miami. He doesn't have the best money situation, but he gets the opportunity to go to a prep-school because his mother gets hired as an office worker. He meets Charlie Good. Along with his group of cronies, Charlie and Paul start doing some vandalism and then, Charlie wants Paul to do something even worse. 

I gave this book a four out of five star rating. I feel that we can learn from this. We can learn how bulling really affects our youth from people experiencing it. I feel that it is a safe way to learn about this because it is not actually a true story and we aren't in danger of the characters coming out of the books to seek revenge on us. However, we must still take caution as to how we present this novel to a younger group of people. I honestly wouldn't read it until Junior year of High School.

#2- Lockdown by Walter Dean Meyers

Honestly, when I picked up this book, I thought I was going to be picking up a memoir of sorts, but it turned out to be a fiction novel.

Anyway, our main setting is a Juvenile Detention Center called Progress. Our main character is named Reese and he is only fourteen years old. What I find astonishing from this story is how much the kids, and I use that term lightly, have gone through and how they can commit these crimes.

Anyway, Reese is on a sort of "work-study" program (I don't know really what else to call it). He is the sort of poster child for the program to see if it will work. He basically goes into a nursing home a few times a week so as to shorten his sentence. 

I didn't really like the story progression of this book. I felt it could be classified as more of a novella, or could have been longer and filled with more story. 

#3- Nothing to Loose by Alex Flinn

TRIGGER WARNING FOR PHYSICAL/SPOUSAL ABUSE

This book was very emotional for me, and as a person who has not experienced the abuse in the story, I couldn't imagine what someone who does go through this kind of abuse would feel. 

Anyway, Michel had run away with the carnies at his local fair grounds about a year ago when our story begins. He has the idea to chase after the girl he had fallen in love with. But then, the fair returns to Miami. Where his mother is locked up for a crime she hadn't committed. He is very emotional and tries to reach out for help, though not very well. 

This is such a short book, I'm afraid to say too much, so I'll just say one more thing. This book was very emotional. I gave it four out of five stars. 

#4- Fade to Black by Alex Flinn

I was on a roll with Alex Flinn books this month!

I'm just going to leave you with the blurb from GoodReads....

Three perspectives -- one truth
The victim: After his windshield was shattered with a baseball bat, HIV-positive Alex Crusan ducked under the steering wheel. But he knows what he saw. Now he must decide what he wants to tell. 

The witness: Daria Bickell never lies. So if she told the police she saw Clinton Cole do it, she must have. But did she really? 

The suspect: Clinton was seen in the vicinity of the crime that morning. And sure, he has problems with Alex. But he'd never do something like this. Would he?

#5. Eve and Adam by Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate

This story is a dystopian novel, but set in a more modern-day time period. But, other than that, this book is so hard to summarize. I don't want to give too much away, but at the same time, I want you guys to know enough about the book to pick it up. So, I'm going to try my best.

Eve is in an accident that causes her leg to be practically amputated. Her mother is a famous researcher that insists that Eve be transferred to her special hospital. The doctors put up a huge fight, but in the end, Eve's mom wins and she, Eve, is transferred to her mother's research facility. While Eve is there, something remarkable happens.

That's as much as I want to tell you, because there is so much jammed into the first part of the book. I gave this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars. 

#6. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Oh. Em. Gee. I fell in love with Daemon Black. I sort of felt like this might have been a sort of a Twilight-eque story, but I don't feel as though the relationship isn't as abusive or so quickly set on. This is such an awesome story, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. 

I gave this story a 4 out of 5 star rating.

June TBR-

I don't have much planned for the month of June, but I really want to read Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and Cinder by Marissa Meyer, and possibly start Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples. But, I'm a mood reader, so we'll see at the end of the month! 

This was an okay reading month for me, but I'm hoping June will be even better!

Type at you later!

Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment