Thursday, February 12, 2015

Why I Don't Like Book Synopsises

Upon my discovery of book tube, I learned something about myself. I do not like book synopsises. Why? Well the answer is really quite simple. I like to go into a book as blind as I can.

Let me tell you something. When I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Leviathan, I didn't know that the title was, in fact, referring to TWO Will Graysons. That is how blind I like to go into a story. After I picked up that book, I read the back and the back clearly states that this story is about two boys named Will Grayson. 

I feel that had I gone into that book with the knowledge that there were two Will Graysons, the story would have had a much different effect on me. Especially the ending. 

Now, in saying this, I still watch book tube videos. I only watch reviews/book discussions unless I have read the books that the reviewer is mentioning. I watch mostly book hauls, book tags, and monthly wrap-ups and TBR videos. Now with that, there often will be a synopsis of the books. But, because, most of the time, it is not word-for-word from the back of the book or a full review. 

I guess you could say that I'm not a fan of how publishers describe the books they put out in their synopsises. Unless they sum up the book in three sentences or less, without giving too much away.  I guess I just feel like the synopsis wants us to develop our opinion about a book before we've actually read it. I prefer a synopsis to be short, sweet, griping, and vague. I like to hear short opinions from other avid readers in a shortened format, such as in a wrap-up video or TBR. 

When I do get around to reading a hyped book, I may watch some sort of discussion of the book, but I like to settle with my own thoughts of the book for a while rather than share them with the whole world. Give me a few days for a book to stew inside of me to see if I want to share my thoughts or if I want a more intimate relationship with the book. 

This may seem very confusing and I sort of contradict myself because I put up reviews on here and on my channel. But like I said earlier, I like those types of things when I have already read a book. 

So, here's a question for you. Have you really thought about how you feel about synopses of books, or have they always been there and you just grew used to them? Let me know and let's have a discussion in the comments!

Until next time, 

Shea

P.S. I will have a video up on my YouTube Channel soon. My internet speed has not been cooperating with me. If I try to upload a video it would take a veeeeeeerryyyyyy loooooooooong time. But, I will keep trying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment