Monday, February 23, 2015

How I Rate Books

Hi guys!

I hope this post finds you well. I've been having some troubles that have kept me from the blogging/vlogging world. But, I have a quiet moment right now so I thought I'd write this up for you. I hope you enjoy!

So, I wanted to give you an overview of how I review books. I tend to rate most books four stars unless they are outstanding. For example, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell was a five star book to me. Contemporaries are usually a solid 4 to 4.5 stars in my book. If you asked me my thoughts on contemporary novels a few years ago, I would tell you that I hated them. The contemporaries that I read back then, I usually didn't finish or gave two or two and a half star ratings. Now that I am the age that most of the YA contemporary characters are, I feel like I can relate to them more. And that's why I've read all contemporary books this month!

A three star rating to me is right down the middle. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. An example of this would be Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. This was one of those books for me. While I am interested in picking up the sequel, I needed to wait a few months before I actually did that.

I very seldom give a two star rating, but when I do the book just didn't do anything for me. The story might have been good, but I didn't connect to the characters or the plot line. These are books like classics that I have to read for school. For example, right now for my English class we have to read Hamlet. I'm not that big of a fan of reading plays as it is, but add tragedy and death to it? It's really not my forte.

I don't think I've ever given a one star rating, so I can't give you an honest reason why I would give a book a one star. But if I ever do, I'll be sure to come back and update this post!

I'd love to know how you rate your books. Let's have a chat about it down in the comments!

Type at you soon!

Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment